the “elephant in the Church”
I think it is about time to take on the “elephant in the Church”. The elephant in the Church (also elephant in the living room, elephant in the corner, elephant on the dinner table, elephant in the kitchen, etc.) is an English idiom for an obvious truth that is being ignored. It is based on the fact that an elephant in a small room would be impossible to overlook…it is called PORN. There are some scary statistics out there, especially when it comes to those who are believers in Christ. I guess deep down inside all we want is to know that everything is going to be all right. We ask ourselves the question…is there something wrong with me because I am struggling with pornography? If you are not asking that question you should examine your motives. With this issue comes a lot of shame and guilt. It’s a dirty little secret that you can’t let out and in the meantime you feel like pond scum. For men we have three main facts:
1. We all love to look at nude women (yes, I just said this on t church site).
2. We have all looked at nude women.
3. We all know where we can find pictures of nude women.
The question is what are you going to do about the facts? We can simply accept the facts and give into our flesh, or we can live a life of integrity and avoid the pitfalls and traps of Internet pornography. This is every man’s battle. Porn is a lie. Porn tries to tell you what sex should feel like, sound like, and look like. Porn is simply fantasy designed to do one thing- keep you inclusive to yourself. Porn will destroy the relationships around you, as you pull away because of your dirty little secret. As you consume porn, it becomes your life, and you will eventually lose your choice to the addiction. Stop now! Do it for yourself. Do it for your eventual wife. Do it for the kids you will have one day. Do it because it’s the right thing to do.
Facts and Stats
– Last year more money was spent on purchasing pornography the the United States spent on foreign aid (12 billion vs. 10 billion)
– Porn revenue is larger than all combined revenues of all professional football, baseball, and basketball franchises.
– US porn revenue exceeds the combined revenues of ABC, CBS, & NBC (6.2 billion).
– Child pornography generates $3 billion annually.
– Average age of first Internet exposure to pornography = 11 yrs old
– Largest Consumer of Internet Pornography = 12 – 17
– Christians who say porn is a major problem in the home = 47%
– US adults who regularly visit internet porn sites = 40 million
– 70% of women keep their cyber activities secret.
– 9.4 million women access adult website’s each month.
So here are some Next Steps
1. Come Clean (Prov 28:13; James 5:16)
The first thing to do is get the monkey off your back. Get face-to-face with God, let Him know you are ready for change and tell another human being.
2. Work out your faith (James 1:4)
You will have to work this thing out. It might mean you join a local group like Life Ministries or another anonymous group. Nationally there are a number of 12-step programs devoted to sex and pornography addictions and countless other Christian programs.
3. Get Accountable (Galatians 6)
You must keep your behavior in check with a close friend or accountability partner.
xxxchurch.com (#1 Christian Porn Site, consisting of porn addiction help and a variety of other sexual addiction aids and tools)
x3watch (Internet Accountability, Mac or PC)
Pure Online (Online, Confidential, Streaming Video Workshops for couples, men, women and teens, Mac or PC)
Safe Eyes (Internet Filtering Tool for Parents, Mac or PC)
Every Man’s Battle (Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time)